I’ve made it into the double digits… This is the 10th month of my B4 We Create logo experiment. I remember when I turned ten that my family teased me saying I was “double-digit Bridget,” it made me feel so grown up then. Now that I am wrapping up my 10th month in business the logo experiment process had me feeling like a child again, playing with stencils and new art supplies!
I’ve been interested in wood burning. This mark making method is called Pyrography or pyrogravure. Wikipedia defines this as the art of decorating wood or other materials with burn marks resulting from the controlled application of a heated object such as a poker. It is also known as pokerwork or wood burning.
THE TOOL LIST:
- Basic pyrography set. Feel like giving it a try? Heres the link in case any of you want to give it a go: http://a.co/28O1Wfu
- Number and letter stencils included in the kit mentioned above. I think most of us had something like these as a kid!
- Balsa wood board I found in my son’s room left over from a karate board breaking class. (I would recommend using a harder wood. The surface sank more than I would have liked. It reacted a little like Styrofoam.
- Metal ruler.
I set the wood burning tool up with the finest metal tip in the pyrography kit. In the video here I took a close-up creating this Mark. Look close, and you can see the smoke coming off the wood! — Happy to report no Designers were burned in the making of this video! — This process does have my creativity on fire (pun intended). I’m looking for more wooden objects to practice on now. I’m thinking of some mixing spoons, or I’d love to try it on an old wooden instrument, possibly a violin. Have one lying around you’re looking to donate, I’m your girl!
I like how this concept reminds me of the ideas behind the Month 3 B4 We Create Logo Experiment which focused on the cattle brand. Perhaps the two designs could overlap—We’ll see!
B4 We Create’s January 2018 Logo!
- identity design
- brand strategy
- brand standards
- promotional material
- digital + print advertisements
- exhibit planning
- plan development
- website design
- WordPress development
- social media marketing
- search engine optimization (SEO)
- email blast